Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect


I am not a cook. It's not that I dont want to, I don't really know how. I can't believe I am really admitting this about myself. Every women should thrive off of cooking, right? Ha! The first week or so we were here, Jon cooked dinner every night. Although I know he does enjoy cooking, I started feeling a little guilty and obligated. I don't want Jon to think he married a lazy couch potatoe. So, this weekend we went grocery shopping and I picked some recipes I was planning to make this week. I literally have to read recipes-I'm sure most of you others dont, but I am fairly inexperienced-other than taking cooking classes in high school, and making brownies from a box where the only ingredients are oil, eggs, and water. LOL. I'm not used to cooking for two. My logic has always been, why not make brownies from a box? Making them from scratch is more time consuming, and they taste perfectly fine to me from a box. I guess this is a rude awakening for me! I can't expect my husband to eat reduced fat wheat thins and peanut butter sandwhiches all the time. The other night I decided to make banana nut muffins from scratch. I was torn because I had a mix for banana muffins in the pantry-but, I decided to take the time to make them from scratch. I'm trying to prove to Jon that I really do have potential here. LOL. Anyways, they turned out great. The topping for them was brown sugar and walnuts mixed. I was proud! I know all of my friends are years past this stage of being proud of your first accomplishment in the cooking department. If any one has recipes or ideas they would reccomend, I would appreciate it! And EASY is the key word for me! I need EASY recipes!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got lots of recipes. What kinds do you want? I love to crock pot. It so easy. Throw all the ingredients in the pot in the morning, turn it on, and voila!! Dinner is served. There's no shame in box mixes, I use them all the time.

Krystin said...

Those look so incredibly yummy michelle! you did a great job! Very true... I love to crock pot as well... so easy! You've inspired me however to be a better cook too.... that's never been my genre. Kyle will thank you for it! haha

Natalie said...

Michelle, i just have to laugh because i to am not a cook but, its not that i dont know how. I know how to but i am really bad at cooking. I know how to make things out of boxes as well and spaghetti. Haha, but i got lucky because Jason loves to cook. :) He's really good at it to. Good luck!

The Collins Family said...

Hey Michelle, I have to agree with crock pot recipes. They're really easy and there are alot of recipes out there to try.But like you said practice only makes perfect! Good luck

Melissa said...

Looks good. I have to make me some muffins now they looks so good.

Amy said...

Great job Michelle! It's so fun when you are first married and are trying new things. Believe me, when Greg and I were first married, we had to throw alot of what I made away and end up Wendy's, ha! I don't know if I ever even told you that either, lol. Well just let me know what recipes you want...I've got some ANYONE can make! But you could just live off Jon's yummy spaghetti for awhile...I know I could. Oh, and I'm flying out to Cali on the 30th too! I'm so excited!