Monday, May 14, 2012

One Year












One year ago from today, May 14th, Jon came home from Iraq. Deployments are always a bittersweet thing. It's hard while they are gone and you worry about their safety, but when you know they are coming home, you have butterflies for months ahead. The feeling of standing there surrounded by U.S. flags, and seeing the plane preparing for landing, not seeing your soldier for a whole year, knowing that your loved one is just an arms reach away, is indescribable. 
One thing I learned over this past deployment, DON'T set expectations. I always have everything planned out in my head, the moment being picture perfect. This past deployment taught me that things don't always go your way or as planned. 
I never imagined giving birth to my first child without my husband by my side. I thought I would DIE if I didn't have him there. After having gone through child birth without my spouse, I have realized how much it has made me a stronger person. Being put in a situation where you have no choice, and you have to go through what you feared most. I have this attitude now that if I could go through that on my own, then I can do ANYTHING. And this is true, because I never thought I could get through that, and I DID. 
I could keep rambling, but I won't. We are just grateful you are home safe and sound Jon!!

1 comment:

Mommason Hillary said...

I think this is why you three are so embedded in my heart. It takes a special kind of human to do what you all did - and you gave so many people the chance to pray harder, pause in front of a flag more sincerely, and hug those around us more. You will always be a part of me.