Saturday, October 17, 2009

Forever & Always My Companion

My Harley Boy
Forever & Always My Companion

Adopted by Jon & Michelle: July 25, 2009
Passed Away: October 17,2009

I guess sometimes life really catches you off guard. Harley was fine wednesday, started acting different wed evening, went to the vet thurs, and passed away saturday. Wow. His illness came out of no where, and then he was gone. Needless to say, he has left me here, heartbroken, crushed, devastated, and not knowing how I will ever live without him.

I don't know how I will get through each day without Harley at my feet, by my side, on my bed, on my lap, or sitting in the passenger seat of the car. I only had Harley for 3 months, but we were inseperable, ALWAYS together, and now he is gone.

I'm happy to say, I have absolutely no regrets with the life I gave Harley. I treated him like gold, like a best friend, like the most loyal companion, and in return, he treated me the same. I am so glad that I was able to provide Harley with a wonderful life, the last 3 months he was alive. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. The only comforting things I am hanging on to right now, are....that he was in horrible pain, but he is no longer. And also that I KNOW I will see him again after this life.

Harley was a wonderful dog, but particularly, he and I had a special bond. He was the first dog of my own. He literally followed me from room to room, upstairs/downstairs, outside/inside, even if he was sleeping, he would get up and follow me if I left his side. It's hard for me to write and express the special bond we had together. Neither can I write the extent of heartache I feel right now. I am completely devastated. At one point, I felt like "Life can't go on anymore for me." I have a very deep love for animals, and I have learned, that it does not take long for me to become attached.

Saying goodbye to my dear Harley, was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I hope with all my heart he will be waiting to greet me in the next life.

Thank you to my parents for letting Jon and I burry Harley in their flower garden, next to our family dog growing up, Sassy. Thank you to Jon for being so supportive and being there for me and Harley through all of this.

I kept Harley's collar, and his name tag. It is excruciating to be at my house and see all of the reminders: leashes laying around, dog shampoo under the bathroom sink, dog bowls with food still in them, his favorite treats "Pup-er-oni" sitting on the counter, and his hair on my clothes, and on my bed. It KILLS me.

Thank goodness we are able to have hope that we will see our beloved pets again. To me, Harley was not just a pet. He was my lil' companion and the first memeber we brought into our family.

Harley, you are deeply loved, and will be missed terribly. We love you and can't wait to see you again. Until then, please don't forget us because no one on earth loves you more than I do....
To read about Harley's disease, here are a few links.

8 comments:

Harward Family said...

Oh Michelle I am so sorry about Harley. I know how much you loved him! i just can't believe that both or our dogs had the same disease and they both passed away from it. I know that it was the right thing to do for him because if he was like Daisy there is no way that he could live the rest of his life in pain. But right now I know that it does not matter how many people tell you it was the best thing for him you are still going to be so sad. I know you were such a good mom to him:)

Jessica, McKay, Riley & Kayden said...

Michelle I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I am crying just reading your blog. I know the kind of love you had for him. If you want to go to lunch or something give me a call. I would love to see you. I hope things get better for you. Love ya!!

Kristie said...

Your blog sounds so much like the letter I wrote to my cat that died that I was talking to you about earlier. That might be something you could do, just write a nice long letter completely to Harley.

I posted my letter to Tinkerbell on Myspace way back then, but I wrote it for myself. It was reeeally long lol, but I felt a little bit better afterward. Now I can read it whenever I want to remember her. I wrote all the things we did and all the things I loved about her, how much I missed her etc. It's kind of a keepsake for myself.

And I also kept her collar and tags!! She had a soft purple Velcro one, so I wore it on my wrist for ages.

Mommason Hillary said...

So many people needed to read this - you took a puppy that needed so much - and gave go much. It's so difficult when you pour your heart into a pet (best bud) and then they have to move on. Thank you for caring for Harley so lovingly - you taught us all a lesson on love. I'm so sorry - hope to see the happy dimples again. Sweet Dreams Harley.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. Going through something like that is so hard. I hope you start feeling better.

DELYNN said...

I am so sorry michelle! I can only imagine what you are feeling and going thru! I want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you can be comforted and soon the memories won't be so painful, just happy. Now it the time to morn and be sad, but it won't be like that forever. It's hard to watch something you love suffer, and even though death is so hard, watching them live an incomplete life, would have been harder. Hope you can recover soon and can be at peace, like Harley is now.

Jen said...

Michelle, I am so sorry to hear about Harley, I am heartbroken for you. I am glad I had a chance to meet him. There is nothing that can be said to make it feelbetter, but know your in my prayers.

Jen

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about Harley!! I hope that you are doing ok, because I know how you had such a hard time when Sassy died. I can only imagine how you feel because you were so much closer to him. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I'll keep you in my prayers.